Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Emissions test failed, "main catalytic converter below threshold level." How to bypass THAT?

I failed my emissions test (in the state of NV, Clark County) and I was wondering if there are any ways around this. I mean the last time I got it checked, I was told that I'd have to pay $1,000 in labor and repairs. This time, I just called this guy whose number was listed on one of the DMV papers (one which I got after I failed the test) and he said it's gonna take 65 dollars for diagnostics and God only knows how much he'll ask for the parts, repair labor etc.



I guess my question is, I don't want to spend a thousand bucks (although it's probably not gonna be that much since only the main cat converter is below threshold level; the earlier guy asked me to have both cat converters changed), so is there a way around this?



My car is a Kia Sephia, made in 2000. (From what the earlier guy told me, it's supposed to have two cat converters; I still don't know if it does).Emissions test failed, %26quot;main catalytic converter below threshold level.%26quot; How to bypass THAT?NAPA on-line parts store has a direct fit converter for your car for $254 + shipping. So, if you really need a converter, the $1000 price quote is a major rip-off in my view based upon prices I've found. This item can't be installed in cars licensed in California (for what reason I have no idea).



Did the emissions test station tell you that you had a %26quot;Main Catalytic Converter%26quot; failure.



I've never seen a car with two converts unless it had dual exhausts. Look under your car to see if you have two exhaust pipes coming out the back of your car (one on the left side, one on the right side).



Another problem I have with your question. I have a 1993 pickup truck with over 180k miles. I had a 1983 Suburban with over 140k miles. Neither ever needed a converter. I don't think you have a catalytic converter problem. My Suburban had a vacuum leak that made it look like a converter problem.



There are two oxygen sensors (one before the converter, one after). The difference between the two outputs tells the computer how the converter is functioning. You may have a bad sensor. They'll replace it and tell you they replaced the converter. Now I can't rule out that a bad O2 sensor caused the converter to fail (it can happen). But you should have other codes to show that problem.



Find another mechanic for a second opinion. You can tell I have little trust in auto mechanics.Emissions test failed, %26quot;main catalytic converter below threshold level.%26quot; How to bypass THAT?You might try getting one from a junkyard. You could find one on line at a lower price, they have some rare metals in them which makes them expensive, and shop around for some one to install it. There is not much of any way of getting around the problem to make it look normal to the ECU.Emissions test failed, %26quot;main catalytic converter below threshold level.%26quot; How to bypass THAT?I never heard of a car with two cats, but I could be wrong. Just buy a new cat, and have a muffler shop weld it on, or if its a bolt on you can do it your self for the price of parts. But that two cat thing sounds sketchy.Emissions test failed, %26quot;main catalytic converter below threshold level.%26quot; How to bypass THAT?take it to kia dlr and get estimate//take it to meineke muffler shops and get estimate//dont be afraid to shop around ask kia if it has 2 cats//mazda rx models have 4 so lets get the facts//you can panic later its too early nowEmissions test failed, %26quot;main catalytic converter below threshold level.%26quot; How to bypass THAT?cats can fail but is rare and being a 2000 model may still be covered under warranty. sometimes other parts fail that make it look like a cat has gone i.e oxygen sensors. I just went through this on my buick were I was chasing a code for the cat for almost a year I replaced both Oxygen sensors twice and chased vacuum lines all over and it turned out to be a wrong gasket between the cat and exhaust manifold to small of a diameter not allowing enough air through $2 part lots of troubleshooting. take to a trusted garage and get several opinions.Emissions test failed, %26quot;main catalytic converter below threshold level.%26quot; How to bypass THAT?There are two possibilities. Either the cat really is below the operating threshold, and will have to be replaced, or the sensor that monitors that cat is not functioning correctly. A scanner check is the only way to find out. That usually cost you an hours labor at what ever the local rate is. The test will help you decide how to proceed. The code has to be cleared and a drive cycle completed before you can pass the emissions test.

No comments:

Post a Comment